Monday, June 9, 2008

Summer Institute Beginnings!

We started our SI today! I have our wiki all set up: http://northstaroftexas.wikispaces.com/
(Note the "2008 Summer Institute fun" under "Cool Links". I'm setting up play rooms to teach them how to use the wiki!)I really wanted to use Googlesites, but it has too many problems getting through the school filter. I also want to change our logo, so don't laugh at it!

The Wiki makes me feel like I've become an important historian who is documenting all that goes on at a Summer Institute. It's pretty cool.

Lesson ideas:
Instead of making everyone do every tech lesson, I'm going to try a new approach. I will still have them all learn how to use the wiki (although I set up their pages for them) and the E-Anthology, but the other lessons people will sign up for! I'm going to have break out sessions during research time each week to meet the needs of the fellows. My lessons are coming straight from the survey, they want help with blogs, wikis, photo story, etc. Fellows will sign up and come learn about what they are interested in. This way I'm not teaching someone who barely checks their email how to blog!

Do you think I'm enabling them too much?

C

No comments: