Monday, June 9, 2008

Publish on Demand

As your Summer Institutes begins, one option to consider is jazzing up your anthology by using a Publish-on-Demand site.  We tried this last year and were pretty happy with the results.  Our anthology went from a spiral packet that looked very much like it was run off on a photocopy machine to a trade paper-back bound book with a glossy cover.  Since last year, I've learned a few tricks (the main trick being actually using Acrobat) that I think will make this year's product even better by letting me export files form Apple's Pages program.  

We used lulu.com to publish our anthology.  The advantage to lulu is price.  You can pay copy-by-copy and there are no set-up fees.  You just upload a file (the document can even be in Word format) and viola!  However, you can also spruce up the cover with an image of your own.  Heck, you can go to full glossy photo pages inside too--but I doubt any of our sites have that sort of anthology budget.  

You can check out the order page for ours at lulu:


By the way, I'm listed first because it's my lulu account, not because I'm a vainglorious fiend intent on robbing the spotlight from my fellows.  No, really...I swear.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

Cool! I'm glad you reminded me of this. I need to talk this over with my group!

Colleen said...

Richard!
You have two books you wrote on here!!!!

I think I might order one!